Skip to main content

A Mutual Respect

86 years then 2004 happens. 108 years and then finally the Cubs win in 2016. Dan Shulman came up with an interesting thought during this Sunday Night's telecast saying that there, " is a mutual appreciation" between Red Sox and Cubs fans.
  I tend to agree with this sentiment.  Being a Red Sox fan and growing up just waiting and hoping for the opportunity to see them win a World Championship was roller-coaster ride with higher highs and lower lows than can ever be understood unless you were a Cubs fan.
 To go through such heartbreak like both teams had gone through over decades and centuries to finally break through with their championships is a wonderful thing.
 Theo Epstein who was only in his second full season as a general manager of the Red Sox, taking the job in November of 2002, and coming oh soo close to getting to the World Series and then architecting the 3-0 comeback to beat the Yankees and to reach and win the World Series, openly admitted that while he was in Boston he was young, and didn't really understand or appreciate the herculean task that he had been able to overcome by winning not just one but two World Championships before leaving for Chicago.
 When he took over the Cubs he said he had a 5-year plan in mind that would hopefully lead the Cubs to be World Series contenders, but was able to escalate the process and help lead the Cubs to the World Series in 2016.  He said in a conversation prior to the finale of the series that he was, "able to appreciate and enjoy the games of the Cubs miracle run last season.'

So while Theo, was able to bring joy to two organizations, he will be forever remembered and appreciated for all he did and has done. There really isn't a rivalry between these two teams or with their fans but an understanding and mutual respect.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sooo an important thing I learned today,  which is to just to the best I can and not to let the instructors or anyone else get me down and discouraged about my abilities as an umpire.  I quickly realized once I got down here at school that I didn't posses the physical abilities to be a big league umpire, and thats okay because I am doing the best that I can, and in the end I am okay with that fact.   I mean I know I will never be on a big league field as an umpire but I am okay with being on high school fields and maybe one day if the challenge arrises  I can be on a college field, but I will never stop learning, trying, expanding my knowledge of the game, my love of the game or my passion for the game.

A New Hall of Fame Class

As a young kid growing up I grew up on the heroes of the game, Ruth, Dimaggio, Mantle, Williams etc.  As I continued to grow up and watch the game of baseball grow and mature like I did, I was always excited to see what new legends were going to get to be immortalized into the Baseball Hall of Fame.   I've been lucky enough to visit the Hall of Fame on multiple occasions including as a kid with my dad, as a member of my high school baseball team on two occasions.   To now watch as more players that I grew up watching in the late 80's 90's and early 2000's it just reminds me of how wonderful this game truly and really is. I'll end this quick post with one of my favorite quotes from my favorite movie, Field of Dreams, "
So I didn't get the job at the gap and I am now moving onto seeing if I can find another job with a few upcoming job fairs. Other than that nothing much has been going on beside working on trying to find a job and working out and helping my parents with some random things around the house from running errands to helping my mom with her powerpoint presentation which I will be playing tech geek to this wednesday as she has a book signing as well as a mini presentation.  I  have also been helping my dad with scrubbing the house and today we moved onto putting a few coats of primer onto the house in order to start painting in this coming week.   I have continued to meet with my job coach and we are trying to find different jobs that I might have a good fit with and right now we are still finding that part of the job hunt difficult to date.  Other than that nothing much so i will update this later